Was watching the Good Wife and was tickled by the British solicitor’s habit of anagramming peoples’ names upon meeting them, e.g., ALICIA FLORRICK = FILIAL AIR CROCK. Anagramming our own names was something Steve and I had fun doing many moons ago. Examples: STEVE PELLINEN = ELEVEN PINTLES and LISA ODOM = SOLO MAID or I AM SO OLD. Paul Epstein, an expert player from Michigan used to refer to me as DOOM SAIL due to a streak of losses against me. Steve even wrote a whole silly story based on anagrams of my full name, LISA ANNE ODOM. NOOSED ANIMAL and SAD MOON ALIEN are two that stuck in my head. And I think some of you may have heard about Masters champion Charlie Carroll dubbing BOB LUNDEGAARD “BUNGLED A BOARD” at their first meeting.
As Steve exhorted, let’s all wish Rob well at the BAT and good luck to everyone competing in our own Spring tournament this weekend.
29 bodies under the Bridge
Undefeated Record & Avg Score
Joe Gaspard 4-0 389
Dave Lockrem 3-0 396
Jeff Lande 1-0 467
Winning Record & Avg Score
Vincent Van Dover 3-1 430
Lisa Odom 3-1 428
Rob Robinsky 3-1 410
Jason Vaysberg 3-1 381
Sue Rhea 2-1 437
Dennis Fenichel 2-1 422
Steve Bachman 2-1 409
Greg Edwards 2-1 383
Carl Voss 565
Sue Rhea 562
Dennis Fenichel 528
Anne Loring 512
Who won a dollar?
Prizes by Lisa
MLI in MIKE WALLACE – Joe G for ALLIED (5) 18
High word ending in X – Dawn for ILEX 51
3×3 – no winner
HIGH WORD WITH NO LETTERS IN RICK SANTORUM – Bob FOR ZED (42)
HIGH BINGO STARTING WITH LETTER CLOSEST TO END OF THE ALPHABET – SUE H for UNITAGE (62)
3×3 – no winner
MLI in BUBBA WATSON – Rob for SOUTANE (6) 62
PRETTIEST BINGO – Dave H for TYPEABLE (73)
3×3 -no winner
9:00 BINGO ROUND
Jason, Doobie, Paul, Joe, Carl, Steve P, Lisa, Dave H, Dennis
3 x 3 – Carl ($4)
• Lisa (3-1) remains in first place by a slim margin over Rob (3-1) and Joe (4-0) who are tied for second.
• Carl wins the $4 triple-triple prize in game 4: AILMENTS for 167 points. He also had high game of the night, a 565!
• Had Diane been in the prizes she would have won for her own triple-triple–BOATINGS for 140.
• Scott had some interesting racks that wouldn’t quite go down as bingos. For example, he was close to GYNIATRY, the treatment of women’s diseases.
• Harmony played a great game against me last night, 429 to my 453 only losing because she didn’t try BLITE, a word I didn’t know and probably would have had to challenge. BLITE is classified as a CHENOPOD which literally means GOOSEFOOT, a family of plants of which the most familiar specimen is the edible QUINOA. GOOSEFOOT seeds were used to create texture in making SHAGREEN, a rough leather made from horsehide. And I was surprised to learn that CHAGRIN (to humiliate) is derived from SHAGREEN–think chafing leather.
• Sue Rhea chAGRINS Steve P on her way to a 562. It was a double-double for 86 points.
• Going bye-bye next week (only if necessary): Pete B then Dave L then Sue H then Steve B then Megan then Michelle A then Lisa O then Steve P then Greg E then Nadine J.
Anamonic of the Week
Anamonics are phrases or words in which all of the letters combine with the stem word to form legit words. The best ones are those which are easy to remember because they relate to the stem word in an obvious way. Also, the more concise, the better, though concision should not supersede the memorability of the phrase. (BTW, anamonic is not a legit word).
Some of the best anamonics are ones that define the stem word perfectly since it makes them easy to remember.
RAINED = "Rains brought damp havoc" R - DRAINER RANDIER A - ARANEID I - DENARII N - NARDINE S - RANDIES SANDIER SARDINE B - BRAINED (r) O - ANEROID U - UNAIRED URANIDE G - DERAIGN GRADINE GRAINED READING H - HANDIER T - ANTIRED DETRAIN TRAINED D - DANDIER DRAINED (a) M - INARMED P - PARDINE (h) (a) V - INVADER RAVINED (o) C - CAIRNED (selected by Greg Edwards)
|High Bingo||176 (GYNOECIA)||Dave Herfel||3/13|
|High Non-Bingo||84 (SCURVY)||Greg Edwards||2/21|
|High Non-Bingo||84 (FRIZ)||Joe Gaspard||3/30|
|High 3-game Series||1697||Greg Edwards||2/21|
|High 4-game Series||2050||Greg Edwards||2/21|
|High Game||642||Greg Edwards||2/21|
|High Loss||462||Greg Edwards||2/14|
|Win Streak||12||Lisa Odom||2/28|
– Lisa O